When it comes to dinners my husband is a man who loves comfort food. One of his favorite meals is what we call Chili Joes. It’s less about the sloppy (afterall this is me we are talking about) and more about spicy, warm, cozy and a little corny.
It all starts with our Chili “Joe” Recipe:
In a slow cooker we add the following and cook for five to six hours on high.
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 pounds of ground beef (we like all natural from our favorite cattle ranch)
- 6 tomatoes off the vine chopped or 1 (16 ounce) cans of diced tomatoes
- 1 (16-ounce) can kidney beans – rinsed and drained
- 1 (16-ounce) can black beans – rinsed and drained
- 6 Tablespoons Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup organic ketchup
- 1 (six-ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 Tablespoon woshestershire sauce
- Dash of pepper
Any chili recipe will work for the Sloppy Chili Joes by substituting tomato sauce with 1 cup of organic ketchup, one (6-ounce) can tomato paste, 1 tablespoon woshestershire
Bake your favorite cornbread recipe. Put cornbread into bowls or on plates, top with chili and cheddar cheese.
A perfect meal before a big game or spice up your family table on a regular ole Tuesday night!