of our 12 Days of Holiday Prep and today we are going classic! Classic cranberry sauce with a modern twist.
Speaking of classic… I’ve recently spent some time going through Sheaffer Pen History. In thumbing through the archives from the Sheaffer Pen Company, one can’t help but feel nostalgic when reading their newsletters from over the past 100 years. These newsletters are full of tradition, family and food. A pen company that talks about food? Yes, and this just one of the many reasons I appreciate them so much.
Years ago, Sheaffer Company had a club at its Fort Madison Headquarters. A club that served not only as a social meeting place, but a place where employees would gather for a meal.
One of these recipes I found in the newsletter “Strictly for Ladies” column by the Sheaffer Club Cafe chef is perfect for our Thanksgiving season, even decades later.
I couldn’t help but give it a twist… for ladies or gentleman!
This is what you’ll need
- Orange Rind of One Orange
- 2 Cups Water
- 2 Tart Apple
- 5 cups Cranberries
- 1 Cup Orange Juice
- 2 Cups Sugar
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Ground Cloves
- 1 Package Gelatin
- Boil the orange rind in water for apx 10 minutes and remove orange from pan and drain
- Add Orange Juice Cranberries, apples, orange rind, cinnamon, cloves and sugar to the pan
- Cook on medium until the cranberries pop (my favorite part) and breakdown. Set aside and cool (DO NOT BLEND WHILE HOT)
- Blend the mixture until smooth
- In a bowl ad 1/4 cup orange juice to gelatin and let the gelatin dissolve. Once the gelatin has disovled, add it to the mixture and blend again. Pour the cranberry mixture into a bowl coated with coconut oil (or any oil that you prefer)
- Cool overnight or for at least 6 hours. When ready and with a dinner knife, gently remove the sides of the cranberry mold from the bowl, turn bowl onto plate or serving dish and top with a twist of orange.
Beautiful and delicious!
Here’s the step by step!
adapted from William Sonoma Cranberry Apple Relish and Sheaffer Pen Cafe